Home Dashboard Directory Help
Search

Visual Studio 2010 freezes and displays "Not Responding" when closing .cs files. by peenootz

Status:

Closed
 as Not Reproducible Help for as Not Reproducible

to vote
Type: Bug
ID: 611063
Opened: 10/6/2010 7:55:20 AM
Access Restriction: Public
Workaround(s)
view
User(s) can reproduce this bug

Description

Whenever I close an editor tab in Visual Studio (for .cs files only), VS freezes for up to a minute and displays "Not Responding" in the window header. Closing other file types does not result in the same behaviour. Note: files are under source control (TFS). No other third party add-ons to VS are installed.
Details
Posted by najaryan on 2/22/2012 at 5:31 AM
@Anonymous2249788468: Thank you so much! My VS2010 with SP1 on a machine with 8GB RAM would freeze for a minute or so when attempting to start debugging and after closing the application after debugging session. After deleting .suo file (mine was about 3MB) it is now almost instant (1-2 seconds).
Posted by Anonymous2249788468 on 2/6/2012 at 3:04 PM
I recently ran into this same issue running Visual Studio 2010 with SP1 on Win7 64-bit. I saw some suggestions regarding disabling anti-virus scanning, but I found a different solution. I noticed that my user options file (*.suo) had grown rather large (~350KB). Every time I closed a document tab, VS would be unresponsive and take a really long time to close the tab. I noticed that the timestamp for the .suo file was being updated every time. By simply deleting the .suo file, VS began closing document tabs instantly. I don't know why the .suo file was so large (possibly corrupted?), but that solved this issue for me.
Posted by Eduard BC on 8/31/2011 at 5:55 AM
Hello .. i have same issue.. :( i cannot work! it drives me crazy!
At first i thought is from installed add-ins (took them all off)
Then i read it could be from intellisense .. but with SP1 i read this issue was fixed.
Now .. when i close the tabs, when i create new item (aspx WebPage), when i select something in the markup for HTML pages ... same thing happens.

I use: VS2010 Pro Trial from MS Site - i still have 16days of evaluation
I run on an: Acer Laptop - Intel I5 CPU with 4GB DDR3, Nvidia 2GB video, WIN7 PRO 64b (bought, not cracked), I use Microsoft Security Essentials ( the one that is downloaded from updates ).

Thanks a lot!
Posted by Microsoft on 2/6/2011 at 11:40 AM
Peenotz,

Since we have not heard back from you, I am resolving your issue as "Not Repro".

Markoueis,

There are tips on handling this issue in this connect bug: https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/572071/vs2010-very-slow-on-save?wa=wsignin1.0

Others,
Please make sure that you are opening new connect bugs for the issues that you encounter. There are many different repro steps and machine configurations that require individual investigation and .

Thanks!
-Sean
Posted by bchayer on 2/1/2011 at 12:49 PM
Hi guys,

I'm having the same issue on a Windows 7 64bits Professionnal edition.

When I close many tabs separately, I end up with a non responding VS. I reproduce it many times a day and it becomes anoying.

My solution has 4 projects including one web site.

Bernard
Posted by gmorphus on 1/23/2011 at 5:07 AM
I'm having the same problem but in Visual Studio 2008 (Version 9.0.30729.4108 QFE).
It happens repeatedly every time I try to close more than 3-4 windows sequentially, or close the VS all together.
I have disabled my AV, Babylon and the Visual Assist Add-in.
It happen only when a specific solution is open.
I'm a Microsoft employee and my name is Guy Arad - if you want a repro contact me on corpnet please.

Thanks for the help!
Posted by markoueis on 1/12/2011 at 8:58 AM
Disabling my anti-virus fixes the problem for me! Re-enabling it re-introduces the delays.

What can you recommend I do now? I can't imagine that the best course of action is to work with anti-virus disabled.

I'm using symantec endpoint protection
Posted by Microsoft on 1/1/2011 at 10:55 AM
Hi PilotBob,

I've created a secure site for you to upload your project to:
Here's the password for uploading only: TfB%ijd3JBVB1

Thanks!
-Sean Laberee
VS Pro Team
Posted by PilotBob on 12/29/2010 at 9:46 AM
I see the same issue but not just on closing files. I see it when:

1. Building the project
2. Doing "Add Class" can take up to 30-40 seconds or more with (Not Responding) displayed in the tool bar.
3. Saving edits can "hang" too.

I am running Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit. I have a Core 2 Quad Q9400 2.66 Ghz with a 7200 RPM SATA Drive and 8 GB of ram. I even tried moving the project to a RAM disk and still see the same issues.

I have disabled CodeRush and have no other add-in's.
I have no virus software on this PC.

I just installed SP1 Beta as well and still see the same issues.

I can't be 100% sure but it seems to me this all started when I added the Silverlight Tools and added a Silverlight project to my solution. I have SL Tools v10.0.30319.400 installed.

I would be happy to send you my project if that would help. It is about 1GB in size with about 30k files in 31 projects.

Please fix this or help me resolve it, it is most annoying.
Posted by Microsoft on 12/17/2010 at 5:33 PM
Hi Peenootz,

Apologies for the delay in responding. Our analysis of the dump file didn't reveal anything useful. Our best guess is that this may be caused by your anti-virus provider locking the files while they are being save. Can you try to disable virus scanning on your project folders?

Sergey/Markoueis/Others.

Can you please report new connect issues for these if disabling anti-virus doesn't fix the issue? It makes it easier to keep track of the separate issues.

Thanks!
-Sean Laberee
VS Pro Team

Posted by Sergey Okhotny on 10/28/2010 at 1:54 AM
We have the same issue on 2 similar Windows XP box, both have Intel Core i3 and 3 GB Memory.
Do you still new dump file and call stack?
Posted by peenootz on 10/13/2010 at 7:50 AM
I am running on a quad core as well. The "not responding" usually appears if I try to click some other part of the screen.
Posted by markoueis on 10/7/2010 at 10:16 AM
I believe i have the same issue. However the attempt to close the .cs file eventually succeeds. It just takes much longer than expected. I aslo do not get the "not responding". I have to wait arround 10-15 seconds. I'm running it on a quad core though.
Posted by Microsoft on 10/6/2010 at 8:00 PM
Thanks for reporting the issue.
In order to fix the issue, we must first reproduce the issue in our labs. We are unable to reproduce the issue with the steps you provided.

It may help if you provide us with a dump file and call stack.

You can get detailed steps about how to get the dump file and call stack at http://blogs.msdn.com/debugger/archive/2009/12/30/what-is-a-dump-and-how-do-i-create-one.aspx

Or you can download a Visual Studio 2010 Diagnostic Tool from http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/e8649e35-26b1-4e73-b427-c2886a0705f4. You can get detailed description about how to use it to collect dump file.

************************************************************
Please zip the file and use "FeedbackID-611063" as prefix of the file name.

************************************************************
You can use the following workspace to upload the file:
Password is 9f]XUpR2Vq

Thanks again for your efforts and we look forward to hearing from you.
Microsoft Visual Studio Connect Support Team
Posted by Microsoft on 10/6/2010 at 8:22 AM
Posted by najaryan on 2/22/2012 at 5:32 AM
If you have a large .suo file named after your solution file delete it. It improved my debug starting and ending times from a few minutes to 1-2 seconds.
Posted by Eduard BC on 8/31/2011 at 6:09 AM
Add Antivirus Exceptions for locations that VS is accessing + from \%Program Files%\Microsoft Visual Studio X.Y\ Common7\IDE\devenv.exe
I also added not scan for all types of files that VS uses.